These Pinwheels are a great vegetarian snack, It is ideal for luck parties and backyard parties. Jam-packed with flavor these vegetarian pinwheels are a quick and delicious snack for parties.
This recipe was originally intended to be vegan calzones. But, friends, it’s too hot to turn on the oven right now.
This recipe is simple, requiring only 8 ingredients and 15 minutes of preparation! Simply mix the ingredients of the filling, spread in a tortilla, roll, and slice!
What about the flavors? Ooh, they’re meant for each other.
Summer appetizers so simple and heat-free!
What is inside the vegetarian pinwheels?
To fill these vegetarian pinwheels, I like to use a mixture of cream cheese and sour cream, this ensures that it stays soft once they have been rolled and refrigerated.
the cream cheese and sour cream are seasoned with chilies, grated cheese, green onions, red pepper, and Cajun spices.
Prep Time:10 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
US Customary – Grams
- 1 green chili
- 1/2 small red bell pepper
- 2 green onions
- 1 package cream cheese, 8 ounces softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt see notes
- 8 flour tortillas
Finely chop the green chili, green onions, and bell pepper.
In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and sour cream and mix well.
Stir in cheddar cheese, green onion, chopped chilies, and bell pepper.
Add the cajun seasoning and salt.
Stir everything together until well combined.
Place the tortilla on a chopping board and evenly spread about 1/3-1/2 cup of the filling evenly. The exact quantity will depend on the size of your tortilla.
Wrap the tortillas tightly and roll in plastic wrap.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
Refrigerate all tortillas for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Slice in 1/2 inch pieces and serve
Check your Cajun seasoning, some brands contain salt. If this is the case, taste your mixture before adding the salt.
Can you make these vegetarian pinwheels in advance?
They can certainly !!! Just make sure to wrap them tightly so that the tortilla doesn’t dry around the edge.
How far ahead can these vegetarian pinwheels be made?
These vegetarian pinwheels need at least 2 hours in the fridge, but you can prepare them up to 24 hours before you need them. My normal time is about 12 to 14 hours. So I usually prepare them in the evening before a morning tea or lunch, or in the morning for an evening party.
As I said above, make sure you wrap them well. The edges of tortillas tend to dry out and crisp up. And no one wants that!!!
Which tortillas to use for these vegetarian Pinwheels?
You want to use flour tortillas for this recipe, they soften well and will keep once rolled.
I make my tortillas with homemade flour, but if you buy your wraps, buy the large or jumbo wraps.
My pinwheels are still collapsing, what am I doing wrong?
If your pinwheels fall apart, there could be a mistake out of 4 things.
- not enough filling
- not wrapping the tortillas tight enough
- not refrigerating for long enough
- the pinwheels were sliced too thinly
To ensure you get the perfect vegetarian pinwheel:
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly on the tortilla, making sure to get as close to the edge as possible. This will provide the glue for your pinwheels.
- When you start rolling your pinwheel, make it as tight as possible. Once you’re done, immediately wrap the roll in cling film. Make sure it is well sealed and tight. I then like to pinch the ends together and roll again a few more times to have a good tight roll.
- To make sure the pinwheels are glued together and the tortillas have softened, refrigerate your logs for at least two hours. Remember that you can prepare them the day before, so give them time to set.
- It is best to cut the pinwheels into slices of about 1/2 inch, do not go too thin as there is not enough tortilla in each pinwheel to create a solid structure.
If you follow these tips you should find your Vegetarian pinwheels stay perfectly together.
I want to take them to a potluck, how should do that?
I know we all like to introduce ourselves to a potluck with our dish that looks fabulous, but the best way to transport these vegetarian pinwheels is to keep them wrapped in cling film and slice them when you arrive at your destination.
If you really need to be fully prepared in advance; slice them, place them on a plate, then wrap it twice with cling film. They should stay together. Also, make sure your slices are 1 inch thick, this will give them more stability when transporting.
You may also like: easy vegetarian stuffed pepper recipe