vegetarian waffles recipe Fluffy and Crispy
These are the BEST vegetarian waffles! They are crispy, so fluffy, and really simple with only pantry ingredients! I share some complete tips to make them perfect and great for meal preparation!
If there’s one thing I do know, needless to say, I really like vegetarian waffles. Waffles of all types. I really like sweet waffles. I really like savory waffles. Gluten-free waffles. Even Mac and cheese waffles! Today I’m finally sharing some super easy, fluffy, classic buttermilk vegan waffles. These are honestly my absolute favorite, and they’re pantry friendly too! they need that ideal texture of crispy on the surface and fluffy on the within, and they’re meal prep perfect. I usually just double an amount and I’m good to go.
Expert Tips & FAQ
When prepared properly, homemade vegetarian waffles taste like fresh from your favorite restaurant or breakfast. Here are some of my best tips:
Test to make sure that your leaven remains active. Let’s just say I’ve confidently whipped up a double batch of pancakes only to understand I had tossed my good leaven and kept the expired one. We don’t want that! It’s very easy to check and can make all the difference in getting your pancakes nice and fluffy!
Don’t overmix your batter. Like, seriously. Lumpy waffle batter is vital for light and fluffy waffles, so make sure that it’s almost like the photos above.
Sifting your ingredients really helps to give them softness. If you don’t have a sieve, strainer, or sifter, that’s not a problem, you can always prepare the recipe. I recommend it though.
Although vegetarian waffles are not as accurate as baking a cake, I would still recommend weighing your ingredients. It ensures the perfect consistency of the dough.
Ensure all of your wet ingredients are room temperature. Cold soy milk doesn’t mix alright, so I always pull a replacement container (I usually make several batches of waffles at a time) OR I take my bottle from the fridge, pour out what I want, and warm it up within the microwave so it’s room temperature. If you’re planning ahead, you’ll always just leave it on your counter until it’s room temperature.
Always lightly grease your waffle maker. The oil in the dough is crispy but also helps not to stick to the waffle iron.
Let the steam from the waffle iron always dissipate before the waffle iron opens. If there is steam, Still cooking!!
Freeze your vegetarian waffles to last! I recommend freezing them quickly, then heating them in a roasting oven. Remain light and fluffy.
Vegetarian Waffles (Fluffy and Crispy)
Classic vegetarian waffles, beautifully golden in color and crispy on the surface, crazy the within. Delicious with vegan topping, fresh fruit, and syrup.
COOK TIME 15 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME 30 MINUTESSERVINGS 6
1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy or coconut milk or any vegan milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 cups all-purpose flour (240g)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup
1/4 cup melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
fruits to serve or a dollop of vegan whipped cream
- Mix the nut milk, lemon juice, and the vanilla extract or ACV together during a small bowl/measuring cup. put aside for about 5 minutes – this may make the vegan buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, salt, and baking powder. The sifting really helps to form the vegetarian waffles fluffy.
- Add the sugar, melted butter/oil, buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and employing a spatula, gently mix the batter until JUST combined. It’s okay (and normal) to possess some lumps. The batter should be thick and scoopable.
- Turn on and preheat your waffle maker consistent with which done level that you simply want. I set mine to about medium because I prefer mine crisp and golden but also very fluffy.
- Using a ½ cup (125mL) cup, scoop out some batter and pour/spread into the center of the greased waffle maker. You don’t get to push it to the sides . Close and let cook until the steam has COMPLETELY stopped from the waffle maker. Don’t open it before the steam is finished!
- Remove each waffle and place on a baking sheet in your oven or kitchen appliance on “warm” or 200F/95C to stay warm and crispy until finished with the whole batter. Continue with the remainder of the batter.
- Serve together with your favorite toppings like blueberry sauce and enjoy!